A few weeks ago I had asked friends, family & clients to send me list of their “essential” items that they LOVE about their home or something they must have in their next home. It was so great hearing from you all!
I’ve picked the Top 5 that I saw come up the most or ones that I thought were the most unique and could potentially be overlooked. I hope you enjoy!
- Garage: This was probably to be expected. That's why I chose it as our number one on the list. There are so many reasons a garage is an awesome feature and the first and obvious one is to keep your vehicle away from the elements. We know all too well how annoying and frustrating it is to scrape off your vehicle in the morning after a heavy snowfall. But there’s so much more than that! A garage provides security from theft, a place to start a new hobby or side hustle. For some it even doubles as living space or an in-law suite. It also adds value to your home! The garage easily made the list!
- Kitchen for Entertaining: I’m a BIG fan of this one and it would definitely be on my list! I love to cook, no question, but even more than that I love to cook with friends and family. If you’ve ever thrown a party or get together you know throughout the night the party always finds its way into the kitchen. That's where the food and booze are! It’s just a great place for conversation and everyone just feels a little more relaxed than in a formal living room.
- Dishwasher and Air Conditioning: I put these two together because I got a LOT of submissions for them. I’m sure some homeowners might think this is a no-brainer, but for first time home buyers who overlooked them when they bought or maybe thought they weren’t necessary, would say they will never buy another house without them. Let’s be honest, summers in Winnipeg are some of the best in the world, but when you’re trying to go to sleep and it's +25 in the house, fall & winter don’t seem too bad! A dishwasher also falls into the category of "first world problems”, but in our fast paced world, it’s become a necessity. It allows us more time to enjoy doing the things we love.
- Large Front Entranceway: I have to admit this one slipped my mind. For someone who likes to entertain and have friends and family over, this should be number one (or two) on my list! A large front entrance makes everyone feel comfortable. Whether they are coming or going, it doesn’t feel like your guests are rushed out of the house because of lack of space. Theres special moments shared in that small window when you’re getting your shoes and coats on. Planning future get togethers, well wishes, mistletoes kisses, etc. It’s a space to enjoy and appreciate our loved ones one last time. Definitely worth being on the list!
- Yard Space & Deck: last but certainly not least, is a deck and/or some nice outdoor space. Now more than EVER this is becoming more and more important for home owners. Social or physical distancing won’t be around forever, but I’m sure there will be hints of it for a long time. Having a space outdoors in the fresh air will be a nice retreat from having everyone inside all the time. Plus the outdoors are just better! Fresh air, birds chirping, sun on your face. What’s not to love?!
I know this isn’t the be-all end-all list of essential items for homeowners, that’s for sure, but I had a lot of fun going through your entries and appreciating the ones I could check off my list. While also adding a few to my wanted list… I hope you enjoyed reading and feel free to share with anyone you know who will be on the hunt for a new home soon. There may be something on this list that they would have missed!